Saturday, November 8, 2008

Back to McMurdo

We returned to McMurdo without any problems. Everyone welcomes us home and tells us congratulations on our successful mission. We are all starved since we didn’t get any in flight meals. The galley food is not so great. It’s great to see Jonathan. We’ve all missed him and have all mentioned him as we wandered around Tasmania. I brought him back some small tokens of our appreciation. Although he didn’t physically travel with us, his presence was there in his prayers. He is much appreciated by me and the crew and I couldn’t help but say ‘thank you’ with a small gift. One of the things I found was a magnet that said “My friends went to Tasmania and all I got was this magnet”. I thought it was appropriate since we had to leave him behind. My friend Marty has gone to the Pole for a few weeks. He won’t return until after I leave for Okinawa. I miss him but plan to hop down to the Pole for a quick visit before I go home.

The weather at McMurdo is so different. It’s only 7◦F but the sun is shining and there is no wind. I must be used to the cold now…I used to think this was way to cold to stand outside. Now I walk around with a fleece and a hat. I’m comfortable. The snow is melting all over Ross Island. It’s starting to look like a big mud pit in town. My room is not so comfortable now. It continues to go from cold to hot. Today it’s a miserable 85◦F in my room…blazing hot in casa di Sapp today.

Tonight was a nice evening in the Coffee House. We sit around and enjoy good wine and conversation. McMurdo population seems to be a bit lower than before. I guess this is because people are going to the Pole. After the Coffee House, Greg and I go over to the Crevasse. This is one of the military day rooms which just so happens to have drinks. It is military only. I am the only female there tonight. I think I’ve experienced it, I won’t go back.

No comments: