Friday, November 14, 2008

The South Pole











Leslie returned this morning from her trip to Christchurch. Mila is a bowl of energy in the clinic. I love Mila and Leslie and they have already fit right in here in Mac Town. I am going to fly to the South Pole today and I’m excited!!! I’m going to run around the world once or twice. Who knows…I may even do a pole dance. We’ll see….you only live once and I doubt I’ll ever be at the bottom of the earth again. I have now come and gone from the South Pole. Jen and I bundled up as if we were going out into a blizzard. It is -40◦F today…I’ve never experienced -40◦F. They say there is not much of a wind…I’m thankful for that! We step off the plane and head for the ceremonial South Pole which is about 200 yards off the nose of the aircraft. Marty told me they would be sitting in the fire truck…I see the truck but I don’t really see him. I wave and walk on over to the Pole. Dave the aircraft commander went with us. The small incline up to the Pole was not such a small incline according to my lungs. I’m making it…but I have to breathe as if I’m running up a hill. As we get to the Pole I look at Jen are realize that her eyelashes, hair and all the hair on her face is frosted with ice! This was all of 5 minutes after we were outside!

The United States Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station was established in 1956 and has been permanently staffed since that year. The Geographic South Pole is the southern point of the two points where the earth’s axis of rotation intersects its surface. It sits on an icy plateau at an altitude of 9,306 ft, about 800 miles from the nearest sea at McMurdo Sound. The ice is estimated to be about 9,000 ft thick at the Pole, so the land surface under the ice sheet is near sea level. All directions face North at the South Pole. Another interesting fact is that the ice sheet is moving at the rate of about 10 meters per year. The exact position of the Pole, relative to the ice surface and the buildings constructed on it, gradually shifts over time. The Geographic South Pole is marked by a small sign and a stake in the ice pack, which is repositioned every year on New Year’s Day. The picture I have attached of the Geographic South Pole is the small sign with the pole and the American flag. The ceremonial South Pole is an area set aside for photo opportunities at the South Pole Station. It is located a short distance from the Geographic South Pole and consists of a metallic sphere surrounded by the flags of the Antarctic Treaty signatory states. The ceremonial marker is moved every few years so that it is always within walking distance from the Geographic South Pole.

After we took some pictures, walked around the world and yes…pole danced we stopped by the fire truck. Jen ran into the post office to stamp our passports while Marty and I caught up for a quick minute. Within 30 minutes we were back on the plane and headed to McMurdo. We arrived home at 0200 to blazing daylight of course…I didn’t sleep until close to 0400. Too much daylight…I’m ready for darkness again.

No comments: