Thursday, November 20, 2008

Last day in Christchurch

After outprocessing the CDC Jen and I went to the hangar to finish up anything else that was required. On the way out we stopped at the guard shack and enjoyed conversation with a couple of the guards. We mentioned that we were going to walk over to the airport to rent a car. One of the guards asked us if we would like him to “jack us up” with a car. Talk about lost in translation!! In America we would think that this was a threat!! In Kiwi this means he’s going to “hook us up” with a car. We sat around while he wheeled and dealed with a car dealership down the road. His deal wasn’t all that good and he kept trying to get us to hang around a little longer while he “jacked us up”. I finally put an end to it and told him thanks but no thanks. I ultimately didn’t get a car. It was all good…like I said; I really just wanted to hang out. The picture of the stained glass is in the Chapel of the Snows.

We enjoyed dinner tonight at Portofino’s; the Italian restaurant Jonathan, Greg and I visited on our original trip to Christchurch. Tonight, it was better than the first trip. We were able to enjoy dinner with Chief Christiano the Command Chief from the 109 ANG.

On Thursday I found out I would have to move to the Sudima for the night. I say my goodbyes to my favorites from The Commodore. Emma who makes the best mocha’s, Jaime who is always chipper and always helpful, Michael who doesn’t forget a face and is so accommodating. I spent most of my day just hanging out around the hotel. There is no internet here unless you pay for it so I napped, watched TV, read a book. Mom, you’ll be proud to know that this is the THIRD book I’ve read on this trip. I’ve started it anyway.

My plane leaves at 0540. I’m in bed early…
The Emporer Penguins I never got to see are to the right!!

No comments: