Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran’s Day. A day to honor Veteran’s around the world that have fought and served in defense of their nation. Jonathan has planned the annual Veteran’s Day ceremony which was held at the Chalet. The ceremony was done beautifully and included our Kiwi friends from Ross Station just around the bend from McMurdo. The Chalet was packed full of veterans young and old, retired, separated, Air National Guard and Active Duty. A POW/MIA table is at the center of the ceremony and was later brought to the Galley. As we sat in the Galley at lunch, it was nice to see people read the story of the POW/MIA table and even better to see people go and get their friend so that they could read it as well.

We shipped the equipment and supplies from the Davis Camp mission today.

Today in the Galley, I noticed something that I’ve seen over and over but I guess it didn’t really click until today. There is suggestion box that sits on a table just inside the Galley. Next to the box there is a Thesaurus that is always there. I chuckle a bit because I know it’s probably there for people playing word games in the Galley. I have to wonder though if it’s there so people can come up with a better word to describe the food. Like, instead of the mashed potatoes are too thick…maybe they could say they are more “fat”, “bulky” or “solid”. Or, maybe if you would like to say that the food is horrible…you could be more descriptive and call it “atrocious”, “ghastly” or “hideous”. Or maybe, when describing Frosty Boy you could say he’s “amazing”, “astounding”, “marvelous” or even “awe-inspiring”.

On the subject of Frosty Boy, he has been sick for the past few days. He is the talk of Mac Town; everyone is in a tizzy because they need their Frosty Boy fix. I’ve overheard people saying “these brownies are really good, but with Frosty Boy”…then the table gets silent and everyone looks towards Frosty Boy with a look of sadness. Frosty Boy really is a legend around here…truly one of the best morale boosters of Mac Town. Long live FROSTY BOY!

No comments: