Thursday, October 30, 2008

Social Life
















Work continues at the McMurdo Clinic. We help at the front desk checking patients in and assisting with exams. In between the work at the front desk, we continue to plan for the possibility that we are tasked with the Aussie Rescue mission. The patient is holding on and the Australian ship is attempting to get close enough to Davis Camp to attempt a rescue. We continue to get updates on his condition and are able to communicate with the Australian Doctor at Davis Camp. The story has hit the Australian news. An intriguing fact to me is that the Aussie Doctor that is currently caring for him is the only doctor at Davis Camp. He has 4 lay people with a small amount of medical training to assist him. One of those 4 lay people just happens to be the patient…who is also the Camp Chef. The complexity of this patient is beyond the training of the remaining three but they work round the clock along with the Doctor to care for the patient. I’m sure the Doctor is exhausted but he is doing an excellent job with his patient. We are now almost 2 weeks post injury, the patient stable and has only one small spot of skin breakdown…this is phenomenal when you look at his multiple injuries. This doctor should be commended for his work.
www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/10/28/2402667.htm

Meanwhile, at McMurdo, the buzz continues to focus on the huge Halloween Bash on 1 Nov. Since Saturday is a work day, the party will be on Saturday night so everyone can recover on Sunday. Everyone is talking about their costumes but not giving up any details. I’ve heard they are creative…I doubt anyone will copy one another. I have my costume narrowed down to 3 choices…I just need to decide. Knowing me it will be a couple of hours before the party when I make my decision.

Last night we met at the Coffee House and I learned how to play Dominoes. We had a great time. Eddie taught us to play “chicken feet” which was pretty easy. He attempted to teach us another more complicated game but he had us so lost we decided to go back to chicken feet. It reminded me of the kid that teaches the game but changes the rules every time you do something. In the end the kid wins because no one really knows what the hell is going on! Jon and Greg decided to act like Penguins…the picture I have attached is of them attempting the mating stance of the penguins. The picture of the Penguins are the real deal…I wish I took this picture too but I haven’t seen a penguin yet!!

Tonight, I have been invited to go to a party hosted by the A-Shift Fireman. A-Shift has to work on Saturday so they will not be able to participate in the McMurdo Halloween Bash so they’ve decided to have their own bash. I need to back up for a minute and give you some history. Hut 10 is a small building near the Chapel of the Snows. It is basically a little house with a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathrooms. Work centers or individuals can rent Hut 10 for a day/evening and host parties, dinners whatever they want. It has a deck and bay windows that face the ice. This is the second party this week that I’ve been invited to. The first was for the McMurdo Clinic staff which turned out to be more of a staff meeting than a party. The A-Shift Firemen are pretty cool and have invited us into their circle of friends. My friend Marty invited me tonight. By the way, Marty is a pretty cool guy; we see a lot of things through the same glasses. I’m totally stealing Marty’s words but he’s right. We finish each other’s sentences, think along the same lines and both of us have traveled all over the world to some of the same places. It’s fun to talk about places and life with someone that has actually been there and gets it. The challenge tonight is whether or not Marty knows how to dance. I should define dancing here…we are talking about country dancing. I tell him that I’m a dancing snob…I don’t like being thrown around the dance floor by some guy that thinks he can dance but in reality…he can’t. The pressure is on…I think we are both thinking the same thing. I’m thinking he says he can but he really can’t and he’s thinking she says she can but she really can’t. We’ll get back to dancing a little later. We arrived at Hut 10…the inside has been converted to a glow in the dark Halloween beach party. No one is dressed in costume, most everyone is in beach attire or just wearing shorts. They “inspected” the bowling alley and borrowed the black lights used in midnight bowling. It is so intense that fake leis look like they are lights! There is paper confetti all over the floor…glowing. The neatest touch was the highlighters that were floating around. Everyone was drawing on each other, tattoos, mustaches…if there was a bald head it was drawn on. I finally figured out how to capture it on film…the pictures are not crystal clear but did capture the ambiance of the night. Eddie was cooking up some great food…wings, chicken strips, mushrooms. The refrigerator was useless in cooling the drinks so Marty and I threw our beer out in the snow. It was perfect within minutes…literally. SO, back to the dancing. FINALLY, that first country song came on…I didn’t grab Marty in time but because I’m such a dance snob I watched while he danced with someone else. The man can dance. We took over the floor (what there was of it) and danced. It was a blast. I haven’t danced with someone that can actually dance in years. Another night to close down a bar…we closed down Hut 10 dancing. The Hut 10 A-Shift Firemen’s Halloween Bash was a success…it’s going to be difficult to beat.

No comments: