How Great Thou Art…I sang this song over and over today thanks to Chaplain Bell (Jon). It was a song I didn’t mind singing over and over today. I had a glorious day and was thankful on many occasions for the grace of God that has brought me to this Continent. My first thought when I sang this song in church this morning was Papa Burks. On so many occasions growing up I stood beside my Papa while he worked in the garden or tinkered in his shed. I remember him singing How Great Thou Art and today I could hear him singing and it brought back a flood of memories that I’m so grateful I have not forgotten. Sitting in the Chapel of the Snows this morning, I felt comfortable. I felt like I was back at Midway Locust Grove United Methodist Church in Midway, Missouri. The church I grew up in, the church of many fond memories. It was a good feeling, a familiarity and comfort that I haven’t felt in a long time. I know that Jon reads this blog…thank you Jon, you’ve brought joy to this chapter in my life thru your ministry. I appreciate you!
Moving on to brunch…as usual, it’s the best meal of the week. Today there was fresh fruit that was outstanding. I don’t eat fruit that much but always seize the opportunity when I see that it’s all cut up and ready!!
After brunch, I piddled around a bit then headed over to the Crary Lab for the weekly tour that is offered there. I’m not sure what I was expecting…but I was sure expecting more! It is the “largest science research center on the continent”. If you read yesterday’s blog you will notice that Williams Field is the continent’s busiest airport. While I’m at it…McMurdo is the largest Station on the continent. I’ll boast a bit and say that I am currently working at the largest Level 1 Trauma Center on the continent. We’ve also identified that since we have an OB/GYN physician and OB Nurse (me) we are the ONLY full service hospital on the continent. I think we’ve got a lot to be proud of here at McMurdo and I can already see the OPR (Officer Performance Report) I will write for myself when I leave here. I digress…back to the Crary Lab. It was an OK tour…if you like to see labs and microscopes. The highlight of the tour was downstairs at the aquarium. The divers have brought up sea creatures that live in the freezing cold waters below Antarctica. Most of the tanks are empty still but there is a ‘petting’ tank with freezing cold water and pretty normal sea creatures. An amenity (spelling), a fish, some sponges. The only creatures that I found odd was the sea spiders. I actually touched it, lifted it up and got my picture taken with the little guy. Another interesting fact that I should talk about is the ability for these creatures to live in such a cold environment. Hopefully, I can get this story correct. Basically, all of these creatures have an anti-freeze protein that mimics the effects of Ethylene Glycol (Anti-Freeze) in their muscle cells and blood stream. This gives them the ability to function in an environment that is below freezing. If you were to cut one with a knife this protein is released and the damaged tissue would literally freeze instantly. The other interesting fact is that their heart beats once every six seconds. I also noticed that all of the sea creatures in the petting tank moved very, very slowly. I wonder if this is because they are cold. The fish was kind of strange…he would poke his head above the water and look at you as if to say, “hello…feed me”. He would also position himself funny…he wouldn’t be horizontal hanging out like most fish; he would kind of bend near the side of the tank and just look up at you. I’ve added a couple of links at the bottom of today’s blog on these fascinating fish. The last part of the tour was a chance meeting with one of the scientists who showed us an underwater robot/camera. This was another highlight of the tour. All in all, the tour was neat…we are here for science and its good we can see exactly what is going on. Although, I’m not sure I really know what is going on! I guess I should also say that each year different scientist roll into Antarctica with different questions to answer. They are given grants and a lab in the Crary Lab and enjoy their research whatever it may be. One of the pictures I’m posting today is a grease board with some Scientist quibbling over Penguins…I really can’t explain. I guess I’m not ready to be a scientist.
To be continued…
Moving on to brunch…as usual, it’s the best meal of the week. Today there was fresh fruit that was outstanding. I don’t eat fruit that much but always seize the opportunity when I see that it’s all cut up and ready!!
After brunch, I piddled around a bit then headed over to the Crary Lab for the weekly tour that is offered there. I’m not sure what I was expecting…but I was sure expecting more! It is the “largest science research center on the continent”. If you read yesterday’s blog you will notice that Williams Field is the continent’s busiest airport. While I’m at it…McMurdo is the largest Station on the continent. I’ll boast a bit and say that I am currently working at the largest Level 1 Trauma Center on the continent. We’ve also identified that since we have an OB/GYN physician and OB Nurse (me) we are the ONLY full service hospital on the continent. I think we’ve got a lot to be proud of here at McMurdo and I can already see the OPR (Officer Performance Report) I will write for myself when I leave here. I digress…back to the Crary Lab. It was an OK tour…if you like to see labs and microscopes. The highlight of the tour was downstairs at the aquarium. The divers have brought up sea creatures that live in the freezing cold waters below Antarctica. Most of the tanks are empty still but there is a ‘petting’ tank with freezing cold water and pretty normal sea creatures. An amenity (spelling), a fish, some sponges. The only creatures that I found odd was the sea spiders. I actually touched it, lifted it up and got my picture taken with the little guy. Another interesting fact that I should talk about is the ability for these creatures to live in such a cold environment. Hopefully, I can get this story correct. Basically, all of these creatures have an anti-freeze protein that mimics the effects of Ethylene Glycol (Anti-Freeze) in their muscle cells and blood stream. This gives them the ability to function in an environment that is below freezing. If you were to cut one with a knife this protein is released and the damaged tissue would literally freeze instantly. The other interesting fact is that their heart beats once every six seconds. I also noticed that all of the sea creatures in the petting tank moved very, very slowly. I wonder if this is because they are cold. The fish was kind of strange…he would poke his head above the water and look at you as if to say, “hello…feed me”. He would also position himself funny…he wouldn’t be horizontal hanging out like most fish; he would kind of bend near the side of the tank and just look up at you. I’ve added a couple of links at the bottom of today’s blog on these fascinating fish. The last part of the tour was a chance meeting with one of the scientists who showed us an underwater robot/camera. This was another highlight of the tour. All in all, the tour was neat…we are here for science and its good we can see exactly what is going on. Although, I’m not sure I really know what is going on! I guess I should also say that each year different scientist roll into Antarctica with different questions to answer. They are given grants and a lab in the Crary Lab and enjoy their research whatever it may be. One of the pictures I’m posting today is a grease board with some Scientist quibbling over Penguins…I really can’t explain. I guess I’m not ready to be a scientist.
To be continued…

No comments:
Post a Comment