Monday, October 20, 2008

Greenhouse on Ice
















It was a busy day in the clinic today. I’ll have to admit, I really haven’t had much time to sit and blog as I usually do. I’ve been doing a lot of basic stuff but it’s good to get back to basics after my long hiatus from bedside care. Vital signs, IM injections, immunizations, IV’s and lab draws. The nurses in the clinic (myself, Gina and Tara) are usually knocking each other down trying to do the IV sticks. When one gets to do one the other is standing over her shoulder, jealous. I guess it’s good that we aren’t doing a lot of them…that means that people are healthy.

This morning as I left the dorm I thought to myself that today seemed warm. I thought today might be a good day for a hike after work. That thought changed this afternoon when I left the clinic for lunch. It has turned windy and the snow is blowing everywhere. I’m not so sure I want to venture out now. We’ll see what happens at 1630. I am actually pretty run down. Greg and I didn’t get our one day off this week (Sunday). I was kind of bummed…I had planned to attend church and go to the Crary Lab for a tour. Hopefully next Sunday will allow for more sight seeing. It’s easy to get wrapped up in a routine here…I find myself wanting to hibernate. I’m thinking maybe a comp day is in order…maybe tomorrow. I think Jon is getting the keys to Scott’s Hut…I’m hoping to venture out to see it.

A little humor for you: Did you know there is evidence of PMS in the Bible? Well, there is. Mary rode Joseph’s ass all the way to Bethlehem!

The Chief and the Advon Team Commander came by the clinic for a tour. The Chief is a video/photography junkie and is chronicling everything on film. She does a great job and edit’s things down so you see the good stuff instead of hours and hours of simple home filming. She asked me for a tour so I toured her around and introduced her to all the McMurdo Clinic staff. I think it will turn out really well. The Chief assures me I will get a copy of all of her film making. I can’t wait because she has some great stuff.

I am getting stir crazy…the clinic was super busy at 1:00 PM but is now very relaxed. This little office gets even smaller after a few days cramped in with another human being. I called Jon to see if he wanted to walk up to the McMurdo Green House. Jon is a McMurdo expert in my eyes. In his job, he makes his rounds and sees everyone. No one is a stranger to Jon…it’s like walking around with my Grandpa Burks. Everyone knows him, everyone loves him. Up the hill from the clinic at the McMurdo Greenhouse is an oasis of green. It was so neat walking inside and is a must see for everyone that travels to McMurdo. We met Karen, the botanist that manages the greenhouse. She gives us a tour of her 649 square foot greenhouse which can produce up to 250 lbs of produce during peak cycles. There is enough produce here to provide a salad every 4 days for the winter community of McMurdo. During the summer months it is used to as a supplement to the fresh food flown in from New Zealand. The greenhouse is maintained year around and is the only place where you can see lush, live plants, year around flowers and warm humid air. The greenhouse was built when the Navy was stationed here in the 1950’s. It started out as a hobby for a Naval Seaman (also a botanist). They built it from old buildings and recycled parts. Today, it is a flourishing piece of McMurdo that employs a year around botanist. There is no dirt found in the greenhouse. All the seeds are planted in perlite which is mixed with vermiculite, then placed in PVC plugs and placed in a water reservoir system. Seeds are sown directly into this mixed media and live their lives in the same plug. They also use this mixed media and plant vegetables in buckets. The supplies for the greenhouse are shipped in via cargo vessel each February. Most greenhouses in the U.S. are built out of glass. This greenhouse is completely sealed and insulated. There are electric heaters that maintain the temperature at night, lamps and circulating fans maintain the temperature during the day. All the walls are covered with what looks like silver wallpaper…much like a mirror. The greenhouse on McMurdo grows plant varieties that include lettuce, greens, spinach, arugula, chard, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and herbs. The greenhouse also has 2 hammocks that you can string out between the growing plants to enjoy the heat, humidity and visual stimulation. Karen told us that some people will come by in shorts and t-shirts, plop down in a hammock and read the newspaper for hours. I think if I wintered over at McMurdo, I’d make this a once a week stop to soak up the rays and enjoy the scenery. As we were walking out I noticed several drawings. Karen said that she had a classroom of kids send her letters last year. All of the drawings included the sights of Antarctica…seals, penguins etc. One particular picture must have been drawn by a little boy who had just gotten his grade card. The drawing itself was hilarious. There was a penguin which was the only thing related to Antarctica. Then there was an animal of some sort hanging from some kind of machinery. The bubble coming from the animal’s mouth said “ah, my report card”. What made this drawing priceless was the list at the bottom. The list contained all of his class subjects and next to each subject was an “F”. As I read down this list of failing grades there was a note next to the right of them…it read “he needs to go to military school”. I’m laughing my head off as I look at this picture tonight. Priceless…

Today’s McMurdo History: On December 14, 1911, after a 57-day journey, Ronald Amundsen and his team of explorers arrived at the South Pole, a month before Robert Scott’s party of 1911-12.

Today’s McMurdo Weather: High 10◦F, Low 1◦F, Wind chill -22◦F

No comments: